Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Steak and Horseradish Crostini - Matt

Hello Internet! I'm Matt and I'll be making occasional contributions to this blog. Since everyone else did introductions, I guess I should too. I don't have much of a cooking strategy or philosophy. In fact, I'm usually pretty lazy about it. Every so often, a potluck or some other event will motivate me to actually make something interesting. In this particular case, it was the Skene's New Year's Eve party and winning free steak at work.

This recipe is a modified version of one on Oprah's website. That's probably the hardest sentence I've ever had to write.

Ingredients:

  • 2 largish steaks
  • 8 ounces of cream cheese - I used chive and onion
  • 2-3 scallions, diced
  • 1 loaf of French bread
  • 2 tablespoons of horseradish (more or less to taste, I like the extra heat)
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
This makes about 25-30 pieces, depending on how big your steaks are.

Directions:

Start preheating your grill and season the steak to taste. I used a simple salt and pepper rub, but something with cumin and chili powder would probably be awesome too. Grill it until medium, or more if you're some sort of heathen that likes overcooked meat. Let it rest for about 5 minutes, then slice it thin.

While that's cooking, combine the cream cheese, horseradish, scallions, and garlic powder in a medium mixing bowl. Make sure to save some of your diced scallion for a garnish later.

Slice the bread to about a quarter inch thickness and toast. If your oven has a working broiler, this is the perfect time to use it since you really only want to toast the top. Mine doesn't so I had to do a few at a time in the toaster oven.

Once the bread cools, spread on a thick layer of the cream cheese mixture and top it with a slice of steak. If you're feeling fancy, garnish with some cream cheese and a scallion. I found it was easiest to dab it on with my finger rather than trying to use a spoon.

If all went well, it should look like this (or better)!


2 comments:

  1. My little Hampster friend,
    This is the most adorably unexpected blog I've ever read! Hooray for your steak crostinis! (What am I saying?!)


    -Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want more lazy recipes. I can relate to that.

    ReplyDelete