Monday, January 3, 2011

Apple-Spiced Pork - Rachel

Following Joel's lead, I guess I should sort of introduce myself & my cooking "philosophies" for anyone out there who doesn't know who "Rachel" is.

I'm Rachel. I'm an English teacher living in metro-Detroit with my hot husband of three years, Doug. We have a dog named Zooey, who keeps us highly entertained.

I grew up on a farm, so naturally, I believe in supporting local farmers (hi, Dad!). My father grows apples & peaches, and I'm obsessed with fruit. I pretty much incorporate fruit into almost every meal. Oh, my dad's also a beef farmer, so you probably won't find much vegetarian content in my recipes. Since I moved away from home, our farm has expanded to become home to several chickens (fresh eggs!), 2-3 pigs at a time (fresh bacon!)... and one goat, Regina.

Hmm, cooking philosophies.
1. Doesn't matter if it looks terrible if it tastes great.
2. When in doubt, improvise. - Mom
3. Use as much butter as your conscience will allow. - Grandma. I don't think that will be a very popular philosophy on this blog...

OKAY. THE PORK.

Apple-Spice Pork
(see philosophy #1)

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: approx. 1 hr

Ingredients
2 2-lb boneless pork tenderloins
approx. 1 T EVOO

For rub:
2 T flour
1 1/2 t salt
1 t dry mustard
1 t caraway seeds
1/2 t sugar
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t ground sage

For topping:
1 1/2 c applesauce (preferably homemade)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 salt
pinch of freshly ground nutmeg

For garnish:
1 apple
pinch of cinnamon
about 1/4 c water

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 400.
2. Mix together dry ingredients for rub.
3. Place tenderloins in roaster or cookie sheet with edges and lightly coat tenderloins with EVOO.
4. Rub mixed dry ingredients over surface.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes.
6. In the meantime, mix together ingredients for topping.
7. Remove tenderloins from oven and spoon topping over each.
8. Return tenderloins to oven for additional 40 minutes, approximately. NOTE: If you use a meat thermometer, pork should be about 160 F. Cut tenderloin in thickest spot to make sure there is no pink. NOTE #2: If you need to speed up your cooking time, cut tenderloins at an angle into about 1" slices.
9. While tenderloins are cooking, slice apple, place in saucepan with about an inch or two of water. Toss in a pinch of cinnamon and simmer on med-low heat for about 15 minutes. Turn off heat, but leave pan on burner until pork is done. Drain & garnish.
10. Enjoy!


Source adapted from: Applehood & Motherpie

1 comment:

  1. EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH BUTTER.
    More butter = better.

    Maybe we should rename this the butter blog. :)

    Also, I wish meat didn't make me sick because meat+fruit = delicious sounding!!!

    ReplyDelete