Monday, December 27, 2010

Holiday Sweets Wrap-Up - Elizabeth

This year I tried out a whole new set of holiday recipes - I get bored easily, so I didn't want to make the same things as last year.

Instead of writing out each recipe, I'm including a link to each, with any additions/changes/etc I made noted. I'm also sharing all my mistakes, no matter how silly, because that's what cooking is all about - giving things a try & learning the hard way!

Putting together treats for the family
[The treats on the plate were for us - notice the burnt cookies that I forgot in the oven... whoops!]


Chipotle peanut brittle

Alright, I did make this last year - but it's really good! I boiled it a little longer than last year so it was a bit crunchier, but it could go longer. Also, 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder doesn't make it very spicy, so I'll definitely add more [twice as much?] next time around.


Raspberry thumbprint cookies

Instead of using raspberry jam, I made my own filling!
I used: about 1 cup fresh raspberries, 1/2 C sugar, 3/4 C water & 2 tablespoons of corn starch. I cooked this in a small saucepan over medium heat until it was thick, then let it cool before using. MUCH better than the store bought stuff & so simple!


Almond cookies

These were supposed to be crescents, but I mixed in the almonds right away after toasting [not letting them cool] & they melted the batter, making it crumbly & a bit difficult to shape, hence the discs.


Chocolate covered popcorn and peanuts

YUM! Yum yum yum! Joel wanted me to add marshmallows too, but it was good either way. In fact, you could probably mix in about anything you want with this - pretzel pieces, m&ms, etc. I'll definitely be making this again.

We're having a big New Years Eve/birthday party for Joel on Friday night, so I'm sure I'll have a lot more delicious things to share!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment